As durable as they are, vapes don’t last forever. Even with the best e-liquids in the UK area, vape parts will inevitably wear out and require replacement, and some users simply want to upgrade. Though quality vape parts last a long time, the coils will wear out most often.
A set of vape coils may last a few days or couple of weeks, depending on their care, usage, and type. Keeping the tank clean will prolong the life of these parts and save you a trip or two to the vape shop each year. Here, we’ll show you how to improve your vape’s performance by keeping it clean.
Why Should I Clean My Vape?
Cleaning a vaporizer is an important step in lengthening its life. When a vape is clogged and dirty, your e-liquids will not reach their full flavour potential. With proper cleaning practices, you can nearly double the life of your vape components while enjoying the best flavour from every pull. This will help you save money and time in the long term.
Cleaning the Vape Tank
For several reasons, it’s a good idea to keep your vape tank clean. It prevents discolouration and residue buildup, and it minimizes undesirable flavours. If you change flavours frequently, you probably won’t want to mix the new e-liquid with the old. Luckily, cleaning a vape tank is easy.
There are a few tank cleaning solutions to choose from, but the most substantial differences come down to the tank’s condition and your preferences. No matter which solution you select, the cleaning process is largely the same.
Start by disassembling the tank and removing the coil. Discard it if it’s burned out; put it aside for cleaning if it’s still usable. Drain the parts of any residual e-liquid and put them in a medium-sized container. This keeps the parts together and provides a washing station if the tank is rather dirty.
If your tank is clean, however, simply run the pieces under hot water to rinse away the residue. It’s a good idea to use a sink strainer to keep small pieces from going down the drain. Dry the pieces with a paper towel and set them aside to finish air drying.
If the vape tank is very dirty, consider soaking the parts in hot water. Warm the water up in a teakettle or the microwave and allow the parts to soak until the water has cooled. Repeat the rinsing, wiping, and air drying process mentioned above.
The Most Popular Cleaning Agents
When vape tanks get very dirty, it may take more than a hot water soak to clean them. Soaking the tank’s parts in a cleansing agent will break down residue faster and more effectively than hot water alone. Use these common household items to make your own tank cleaning solution.
- Dish soap. Sometimes, a squirt of dish detergent is all that’s needed to clean a dirty vape tank. The soap will increase the water’s solvent properties. Volunteers use dish soap to clean up after oil spills for a reason: it works!
- Baking soda. Also known as sodium bicarbonate, baking soda has long been a popular household cleaning agent. Not only does it effectively cut oil and grease, but it’s also a natural deodoriser. Soaking your vape tank (but not the coils) in a blend of one cup of hot water and one spoonful of baking soda will leave them odourless, clean, and ready to use.
Cleaning the Vape Coil
Now that the vape tank has been cleaned thoroughly, it’s time to turn your attention to the coil. These coils are relatively inexpensive, but the cost of frequent replacement will add up quickly. With a deep cleaning, it’s possible to extend the lifespan of a rebuildable coil. Here’s how to do it - please note that this only applies to exposed coils in an RBA setting, we do not recommend cleaning normal coils that cannot be disassembled as these should be replaced:
- Remove any remaining e-liquid from the coil by blowing it out and wiping it with a clean paper towel. Remove the wick/cotton.
- Now that you’ve exposed the coil and removed the wick, soak the entire assembly in soap or potable solvent. Don’t use isopropyl alcohol. Sit back, relax, and allow the coil to soak for several hours.
- Once the coil has been soaked, rinse it in the sink. Be sure to use a strainer to catch any falling parts. During the rinsing process, use a soft-bristled brush to remove any residue.
- Many users like to follow up by rinsing the coils in distilled water. This ensures that none of the tap water’s minerals are left behind.
- Now that the coil is clean, allow it to dry. It may take a while to dry out completely, because the wick retains moisture. However, as long as the wick was removed beforehand, the drying process won’t take as long. Consider putting the parts on a windowsill in direct sunlight to decrease drying time.
Now that all the parts are clean and dry, it’s time to put everything back together. While cleaning the tank and coils won’t make them last forever, it will improve their performance and extend their life. Once you’ve seen the difference clean parts make, these processes will become a normal part of your vaping routine.
Vaping can be quite enjoyable, but a dirty vape tank or coil can diminish that enjoyment. Not only will a dirty tank leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth, but it will also decrease your device’s lifespan. By following the cleaning tips in this guide, you can extend a vape’s life and protect your investment.