Why Should I Clean My Vape?
Cleaning a vaporizer is an important step in lengthening its life. When a vape is clogged and dirty, your e-liquids will not reach their full flavor potential. With proper cleaning practices, you can nearly double the life of screens and other hardware while enjoying the best flavor from every pull. Though many new users skip the optional cleaning kit, adding one to your first purchase will help you save money and time in the long term.
Cleaning the Vape Tank
For several reasons, it’s a good idea to keep your vape tank clean. It prevents discoloration and residue buildup, and it minimizes undesirable flavors. If you change flavors frequently, you probably won’t want to mix the new e-liquid with the old. Luckily, cleaning a vape tank is easy.
There are a few tank cleaning solutions from which to choose, but the most substantial differences come down to the tank’s condition and your preferences. No matter which solution you select, the cleaning process is largely the same.
Start by disassembling the tank and removing the coil. Discard it if it’s burned out; put it aside for cleaning if it’s still usable. Drain the parts of any residual e-liquid and put them in a medium-sized container. This keeps the parts together and provides a washing station if the tank is rather dirty.
If your tank is clean, however, simply run the pieces under hot water to rinse away the residue. It’s a good idea to use a sink strainer to keep small pieces from going down the drain. Dry the pieces with a paper towel and set them aside to finish air drying.
If the vape tank is very dirty, consider soaking the parts in hot water. Warm the water up in a teakettle or the microwave and allow the parts to soak until the water has cooled. Repeat the rinsing, wiping, and air drying process mentioned above.
The Most Popular Cleaning Agents
When vape tanks get very dirty, it may take more than a hot water soak to clean them. Soaking the tank’s parts in a cleansing agent will break down residue faster and more effectively than hot water alone. Use these common household items to make your own tank cleaning solution.
• Dish soap. Sometimes, a squirt of dish detergent is all that’s needed to clean a dirty vape tank. The soap will increase the water’s solvent properties. Volunteers use dish soap to clean up after oil spills for a reason: it works!
• Baking soda. Also known as sodium bicarbonate, baking soda has long been a popular household cleaning agent. Not only does it effectively cut oil and grease, but it’s also a natural deodorizer. Soaking vape parts in a blend of one cup of hot water and one spoonful of baking soda will leave them odorless, clean, and ready to use.
• Vinegar. This is another common household cleaner that can be used in numerous applications. Vinegar can be used alone or mixed with hot water but be sure to rinse the parts thoroughly to minimize any lingering aftertaste.
By using one or more of these widely available cleansing agents, you can keep a vape tank clean and ready for its next flavor adventure.
Cleaning the Vape Coil
Now that the vape tank has been cleaned thoroughly, it’s time to turn your attention to the coil. These coils are relatively inexpensive, but the cost of frequent replacement will add up quickly. With a deep cleaning, it’s possible to extend the lifespan of a rebuildable coil. Here’s how to do it:
• Remove any remaining e-liquid from the coil by blowing it out and wiping it with a clean paper towel. If the wick can be removed, now’s the time to do it.
• Now that you’ve exposed the coil and removed the wick, soak the entire assembly in ethanol, vinegar, or another potable solvent. Don’t use isopropyl alcohol, as any solvent used must be drinkable (even if it tastes bad). Sit back, relax, and allow the coil to soak for several hours.
• Once the coil has been soaked, rinse it in the sink. Be sure to use a strainer to catch any falling parts. During the rinsing process, use a soft-bristled brush to remove any residue.
• Many users like to follow up by rinsing the coils in distilled water. This ensures that none of the tap water’s minerals are left behind.
• Now that the coil is clean, allow it to dry. It may take a while to dry out completely, because the wick retains moisture. However, if the wick was removed beforehand, the drying process won’t take as long. Consider putting the parts on a windowsill in direct sunlight to decrease drying time.
Now that all the parts are clean and dry, it’s time to put everything back together. While cleaning the tank and coils won’t make them last forever, it will improve their performance and extend their life. Once you’ve seen the difference clean parts make, these processes will become a normal part of your vaping routine.
Vaping can be quite enjoyable, but a dirty vape tank or coil can diminish that enjoyment. Not only will a dirty tank leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth, but it will also decrease your device’s lifespan. By following the cleaning tips in this guide, you can extend a vape’s life and protect your investment.